Montag, 29. Oktober 2012

Yet Another Short-Row Scarf

Free Knitting Pattern: Yet another short row scarf
There are quite a number scarf patterns available on Ravelry, that use wedges of short rows. However, I was too lazy to search through them - so I just started knitting.

Here's what I came up with - an easy scarf pattern.





Creative Commons License
This work by Knitting and so on is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.


Techniques:

I used one skein (200 grams) of (probably) super bulky yarn and 8mm needles.

Free Knitting Pattern: Yet another short row scarf - WedgesCO21 sts
Row 1: k
Row 2: k to 3 sts before end of row w+t
Row 3: k to end
Row 4: k to 3 sts before gap w+t (where gap is the last w+t)
Row 5: k to end
Repeat rows 4 and 5 until there are only 3 stitches per row
Row 14: knit all picking up the wrapped stitches
You have now completed the first wedge.

The picture shows how the wedges add up to a scarf. Since one wedge consists of 13 rows (i.e. an odd number of rows), each wedge starts at the opposite edge of the previous one.

Repeat rows 2 to 14 until you reach the desired length.
Bind off in the row 14 of last wedge picking up the wrapped stitches.

Free Knitting Pattern: Yet another short row scarf


This pattern is listed on allfreeknitting.com as Unicorn Horn Scarf.

8 Kommentare:

  1. I love this pattern but don't understand what w+t means. The photo info doesn't help me because I still do not understand that terminology. I think something got lost in translation? Can you help me, please??

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. w+t is short for "wrap and turn"
      Here's a video that shows how to do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4GxFvi4KD0 - I put the info in the post as well

      Löschen
    2. Thanks for this pattern! Does the w+t is the same as the t+p?
      Thanks for an answer.

      Löschen
    3. They are both ways of doing short rows: w+t (wrap and turn) is one way of connecting the stitches at the gap (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4GxFvi4KD0) and t+p (my abbreviation of turn and pull) another - called German short rows (shown here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6n561SMZXQ).
      Both methods produce a similar result - it's just a question of which method you prefer. Just make sure that the stitch that is wrapped is the same that's being pulled back (i.e. creating the double stitch).

      Löschen
  2. Thank you so much!!! It makes perfect sense now that you told me!

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. I must have missed it somewhere, but how many stitches do you cast on

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. 21 sts.
      You had me worried for a little moment (I have forgotten to put information in patterns before :), but the pattern starts (and has started) with "CO21 sts" ...

      Löschen
  4. Thanks. I see it now. I wasn't looking for it there.

    AntwortenLöschen