This work by Knitting and so on is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
- about 25-30 grams of fingering weight yarn
- two 4mm needles (for cast on)
- 3mm dpns
- tapestry needle (to bind off and to weave in ends)
- The "Elizabeth Zimmermann's sewn bind off" technique that I used is described in this knitty-article.
- CO60 with 4mm needles and join in round
- change to 3mm needles (using bigger needles for CO will make the cast-on stretchier)
- knit 34 rounds of "p1 k3 p1"-ribbing (this is basically "p2 k3"-ribbing, but by starting with p1 k3, the opening will start end end in the middle of a purl channel)
- in 35th round: BO30 and finish round in ribbing-pattern
- in 36th round: CO30 (knitted cast-on) and finish round in ribbing pattern
- knit 33 more rows of "p1 k3 p1"-ribbing
- BO using sewn bind off technique - also very stretchy
(list of BO techniques: http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/FEATsum06TT.html)
- CO64 with 3.5mm needles and then change to 2.5mm needles and knit "p2 k2"-ribbing
- Knit 36 rounds for the ankle part - and only 25 rounds for the foot part
This pattern is part of the "Knitting in the Round: 10 Knit Sock Patterns and Knitted Slipper Patterns Free eBook" on allfreeknitting.com.